Thursday, December 19, 2013

Look in front of your nose.

When I was a kid, my mom would always tell us to go find something.  These things were not hidden, but somehow we could never find them.  She would come over to where she told us to look, find it right away, then she would be mad that we couldn't "look in front of our noses."  As I slowly turn into my mother, I have discovered that this might be one of the mom powers that a woman gains once she has children. 

I used to think this was a made up thing, until I started getting super powers myself.  It started with super hearing.  I swear there was a physical change in my hearing when I had kids.  A cough or sneeze from a baby will wake me right up.  This becomes a curse when the baby cries during the day.  The crying gets inside my head and I can't function until the crying stops.

Now I have the finding power as well.  My own mother would have never expected this.  Today was the perfect example.  My husband needed his belt, I told him exactly where it was.  The big thing was my son.  He had lost three lunch boxes, a pair of shoes, and a pair of snowpants in the last few weeks.  I have often found his lunch box in the lost and found.  The lost and found is right outside the lunch room and his lunch box was sitting right out on top of everything, but he never looked in front of his nose to find it.  He told me yesterday that he would go to the lost and found and bring home all his lost stuff, but when he got home, he told me that they weren't there.  This morning I went to school with him to find them myself.  When I got to the lost and found, I was a little worried because it must have just been cleared out.  There were no lunch boxes or snowpants hanging around.  I had to concede that the boy was correct.  I decided to walk him to his class just to make sure his teacher got her present and that it didn't get lost along the way.  As we were waiting for the bell to ring, a little girl came running towards us with shoes in her hand.  She told us that Charles left his shoes in the class.  This was an amazing girl.  I asked her if she knew where his lunch box was.  She ran off again and met us at the classroom door with two of his missing lunchboxes.  They were in his classroom, in the lunch box basket.  The last thing to find was his snowpants.  I went into the room and they were hanging up right where they should be.  Is this a thing for all kids?  They were right in front of his face!!!  I left the shoes and snowpants there for him to use today.  On the way out the teacher asked me to help with their party tomorrow and I said I would help.

SO, is it more likely that a five year old boy can't find his snowpants that are right in front of his face, or that his teacher hid them so that she could catch me to get me to come for the party.  I would like to believe that the teacher was being manipulative, but deep in my heart I know that it is the boy who can't look in front of his nose.  I think he got that from me.

Does anyone have a technique for keeping lunch boxes and snow pants and winter stuff all together?

No comments:

Post a Comment