Tuesday, January 2, 2018

What does society want me to do next in my life?


When I turned the age that a teenage girl usually starts to date, everyone started asking me when I was going to get a boyfriend or if I had a boyfriend or telling me I should get a boyfriend.  When I was that age, I would have loved to have a boyfriend, but that was not something that I had total control over.  It would at least take an interested boy.

Eventually, I got a boyfriend.  Once I had been with my boyfriend for a while, everyone loved to ask me when we were going to get married, or if we were going to get married, or tell me that we should get married.  I would have loved to get married, but that was not something totally under my control.  I was not going around throwing engagement rings out windows.  It usually takes two people to get engaged.  It helps if both people are interested in getting married.

Eventually, I got engaged and married.  Once I got married, everyone asked me when I was going to have a baby, or if I was going to have a baby, or told me I should have a baby.  At that point in my life, I would have loved to have a baby.  Not everything happens exactly when you want it to happen.  Some things take a while and you just have to wait for it to work out no matter how painful that is.

Eventually, I had a baby.  Once I had a baby everyone asked about the next one.  I was in the same situation.  Giant EYE ROLL!

Eventually, I had a second baby.  The first baby was a boy and the second baby was a girl so no one asked me about having another baby.  Everyone counted my family as complete.  I don’t remember what awkward questions they were asking me at that point. 

Eventually, I had a third baby.  We are a pretty happy family.  However, everyone has found a new thing to ask us about.  Everyone is asking me when we are getting a dog, or if we are getting a dog, or telling me that we should get a dog.  I didn’t know this was a societal life stage.  A few things have prompted this question.  The babies are now old enough to enjoy animals.  My in laws have an adorable batch of bulldog puppies and we could just take one home.  Several of our friends and family recently got new puppies.  Everyone has dogs on the brain.  Do people do this to people about cats too?  This is something TOTALLY under my control.  I can go get a dog and bring it home whenever I want.  The thing is, I do NOT want a dog.  Dogs require a lot of care.  I am not up to the challenge.  I am also a little afraid of dogs.  I also don’t like it when they pee/poop/drool on me and my stuff.  I might be more of a cat person, since they take care of themselves, but I am allergic to cats and getting one would cause a lot of sinus issues.  It is probable that I am just not an animal person.  I don’t hate them or want to kick them, I just don’t desire to touch them. 

I am SO happy that at this stage in life, people ask me questions about stuff that I do have FULL control over.  I can have a totally normal conversation about this and not walk away sad because I wish that things were different.  I hope that this line of questioning lasts a long time.  There are so many fun things to discuss when it comes to pets.  We can bring up the perks of bee keeping, backyard chickens, and cuddling with baby rabbits.  The whole thing is delightful.  Everyone, keep it up with the dog questions.  I am READY!  OH and I also get to say fun words like labridoodle!
This stage certainly beats the next stage which will probably have something to do with whether or not I should be wearing adult diapers.

2 comments:

  1. When are you gonna start wearing adult diapers? You know, you should really start thinking about wearing adult diapers. Do you have something against adult diapers? Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I start wearing them before I start soiling myself, so that I am prepared? Or wait until I have an accident, and then go that way? On a total tangent, we let the kids watch the ball drop and they talked to the people in the crowd who admitted to wearing adult diapers so they could stand there all day. Odessa cannot wrap her head around this and keeps asking me to clarify for her.

      Delete