Thursday, June 25, 2009

Freedom Festival

Last night was the freedom festival fireworks display in Detroit. Detroit and Windsor work together every year to put on a fireworks display on a day that is neither Canada's Independence Day nor USA's Independence Day. They have the event on a date somewhere in the middle (or so I have heard, I don't really know when Canada's Independence Day is...Or if they are independent. They might still be a British Colony for all I know of Canadian history).


I heard about it on the radio when I was on my way into work. People were already saving their places at 7 am to make sure they got a prime spot for the fireworks that evening. One mother was there with her family. She said the kids were having fun playing around all day. One guy was there with a ton of booze and a tent turning it into quite a party.

When I watched the fireworks on tv, for 5 minutes before I got bored of them, I thought about all the people who had been waiting for them all day. There is NO way I would wait around all day to save my spot for fireworks. There is no way I would even drive downtown to see the fireworks, especially because they were expecting about a million other people.

It got me wondering if there is anything that would get me to drive downtown and wait all day to see. I asked the hubby and he suggested a perfect scenario of a free concert featuring your 10 favorite bands and a free tailgate party during the wait. I guess I might wait all day for that. However, I think I am starting to turn into my dad. The thought of being in such a big crowd makes it seem like torture. My dad hates crowds and as a kid I used to get so mad when that was the reason we couldn't do something I thought would be fun.

By the way, I am not against going to see fireworks, I have travelled to downtown Flint and Grand Rapids to see fireworks for the 4th of July, but both of them you were able to just go to. You didn't have to save a place all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment