Friday, July 24, 2009

Is this a garden blog?

I hate gardening. I hate almost everything about it. I hate dirt, I hate bugs, I hate sweating, and I exponentially hate sweating while digging in dirt while bugs attack me.

At the beginning of the summer, my yard looked like the picture below. If the neighborhood association asks, I don't know what happened to the tree that used to be where the pile of dirt is now. And, if I knew what tree they were talking about, I am sure it died through the winter. Anyway, this isn't about the tree that may or may not have ever been there. When the picture below was taken, I had already done more gardening than I wanted to. I had trimmed the bushes and pulled up weeds and dumped a lot of dirt. Last year I thought I was taking the easy way out, and I planted annuals. That was dumb, because that meant this year I was back to square one and had to plant something.



I have a lot of friends who are really into gardening and landscaping. I do not have lofty goals of having a beautiful yard like theirs. I have realistic lazy goals about being just above the worst yard on the street. I should have taken a picture of the other houses, because the bar has been set very low.

Well, I finally did my gardening, and I must admit, I didn't hate every part of it. I like that my house has color in front of it. I like the beautiful flowers. I like not having to feel guilty about picking the beautiful flowers because it is my yard and I can do what I want.


I did not make the annual mistake this year. I was saved from that mistake by some wonderful helpers. My friend Michele at work brought in some flowers from her garden for me. She was sure to bring in the perreniels that need very little attention but spread like crazy. My friend Nikki gave me some of her prize daylillies. I really like the daylillies because you are supposed to pick them because they only last one day. And best of all, I have little Chazzy-chazz to help me water the flowers.


So, FINE I will admit that there are a few positive things about gardening. Geesh!




3 comments:

  1. HOORAY on the daylilies and I am so proud of you!!! I am so glad you are enjoying them. With 64,000 registered varieties in commerce, there are plenty more of those if you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the post! And, most of the time I love gardening. Not right this minute, though. I'm feeling lazy. I get real "gardeny" in April and May and then again in September. In between it's every plant for himself!

    Having a Chazzy to help with watering makes it all worth while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete