Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I see London, I see France...

Until recently I had two wonderful houseguests. The houseguests were my brother in law Andy, and cousin Danielle. Andy and Danielle are roommates and they were switching apartments. When you switch apartments in Ann Arbor in the student area, you usually end up homeless for a week or two. All of the apartment complexes build in this week or two of homelessness so they have a chance to clean up the apartment before the next person moves in. Also, since a majority of the tenants are students they can just stay with their parents. Andy and Danielle were in this situation and they stayed with us for the week that they were homeless.


I love to play the martyr in this situation. I would love to go on and on, "Oh, I am SO kind and SO generous to let these youths stay at my home and keep their stuff there." But actually, having them at the house was a delight. They both work the evening shift at Pizza Bob's, and they had to work a lot because all the other employees went to live with their parents. I hardly ever saw them. But even when I did see them they were a joy to hang out with and Charles had a ball playing with them. When they were there and I was not, they would amazingly clean up the house. It was a great situation.


Well, it was mostly a great situation. There was one drawback.


One of the days last week I was cleaning the bathroom upstairs. I am trying to be a cleaner person, and guests were using the bathroom so I thought it was important to have it not be nasty. I don't know how other people clean the bathtub, but for me I have to take off my pants. So, I was cleaning the bathtub in my underpants and a tank top. When I was done, I did some more housework...all in my underpants. What did it matter? The houseguests were at work and I figured I would be in bed or in jammies by the time they got home. Nathan and Charles don't care if I run around in my underpants, so it was fine. When I was done with the housework, we settled down on the couch to watch a netflix movie and I snuggled up with a blanket and never gave another thought to what I was wearing. The movie went a little longer than expected and Andy and Danielle got home while we were still watching it. They watched the end of the movie with us and chatted and joked. We were watching "He's just not that into you" and there is a part in the end that has to do with Ben Afleck's pants. Watching that scene reminded me that I wasn't wearing any pants. I was sure it would be no big deal. I was sure that somehow I would be able to sneak upstairs with the blanket and no one would know. But I waited and waited and there was no opportunity. Eventually I had to confess. I had to confess that I wasn't wearing any pants. Both Andy and Danielle looked embarrassed. I gathered up the blanket and headed up to bed. It wasn't until I got there that I realized that they might have thought that I was sitting on the couch barebutted, or that possibly they walked in on something romantic. Oh dear.


Well, I still don't know what they thought, but I did get even with Andy Saturday morning. Andy prefers to sleep on the sofa, and normally in the morning I would just see him cuddled up with a blanket as I quietly left for work. But Saturday morning Charles woke him up because he wanted to play. And guess what...Andy was sleeping in his underpants. Gotcha Andy. I guess we are even now.


How do you clean the bathtub? Do you have special cleaning clothes? Do you have any cleaning tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment