Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bunnyville? Should be sucksville!

Last weekend, Easter weekend, the Detroit zoo had record setting attendance. Good Friday set a new record and even Saturday with rainy weather beat the previous record. Sure the weather was great, but I think the reason they had such great attendance was bunnyville. The zoo had planned and advertised all sorts of bunny related festivities. The one that really peaked my interest was "hundreds of bunnies" available for petting.

I am never one to try to attend the hot event of the season. I hate crowds. However, I love bunnies. I had images in my mind of Charles and I cuddling with bunnies and baby chicks. Charles would love them. I would get a ton of adorable pictures of him with little woodland creatures.

My friend Nikki and I took our boys to see bunnyville, Carter and Charles. There was a huge crowd trying to get into the zoo. Charles and I were very lucky. My friend Dale is a member of the zoo, and he met us there and got us in for free and we didn't even have to pay for parking. I was so excited to see the bunnies. That was the only thing on my mind. We bypassed a lot of regular zoo exhibits in pursuit of the bunnies.

Turns out, THERE WERE NO BUNNIES! Hundreds of bunnies were advertised. 25-30 bunnies were brought in. The bunnies had e-coli and the zoo had to get rid of them. I am not sure how a bunny e-coli experience would work. Did the bunnies have the runs? That would be messy even with only a few bunnies. Do they spread e-coli through their bunny droppings? Would the kids have to lick the bunnies? Anyway, there were no bunnies, and there were no animals at the zoo for us to pet at all. Perhaps they all had e-coli.

So, I hereby, call out the Detroit Zoo. Bunnyville was sucksville. Also, they didn't even have the train running on the biggest zoo day ever.

Despite visiting sucksville, everyone had a really good time. The boys enjoyed running around and playing on the playground. They made the most of the fountains and even just the drinking fountain. I was a mess all day from allergies, but it was still a blast to see the boys having so much fun.

Finally, right before the rain came, we headed out. We were completely exhausted. Nikki and Carter got Charles the most adorable stuffed orange penguin to remember his trip. As we walked out of the zoo, "uppy,"Charles said, asking me to pick him up. As I lifted him up, he launched his penguin over the fence into one of the exhibits. Did he want to see the penguin fly, or did he want to set it free? Charles either doesn't understand penguins or zoos. If it had been up to me I would have left the zoo without the stuffed penguin to teach Charles a lesson. The lady behind me didn't think that was an important lesson. She felt bad for Charles and dragged us back to the zoo greeter to see if he could let us into the enclosure to get the penguin. He took us to another person who led us to another person. Luckily, no one let us into the enclosure, but they did get Charles a new penguin. I wouldn't let Charles hold this new penguin.

The boys found the mister/drinking fountain. They loved it. Charles thought the drinking fountain was the best part.


One of the perks was getting bunny faces painted on the kids. I thought that Charles might throw a fit about it, but it turns out he loved it. It was really quite adorable.


There was a huge playground in the middle of the zoo. It was for ages five and up. Carter and Charles paid no attention to that. They LOVED it.


There was a little fountain just outside the penguin exhibit. I think that Charles thought that was why we went there. He thought it was great and the boys enjoyed splashing each other.

So, listen here Detroit Zoo. Sure we had fun, even without your bunnies, but you better straighten up. Next time we might find another zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment