Monday, April 19, 2010

Eyjafjallajokull - all my fault.

Sorry Europe, the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano is all my fault. I didn't know when I first heard about it, but now I realize that it was divine providence.

This weekend we attended the baptism of my nephew, baby Tony. Baby Tony lives in Rhode Island with his parents Jason and Gina. It takes about 13 hours to drive to Rhode Island. When we were invited to the baptism, for some reason we decided to go. It was a crazy idea. Who drives 13 hours each way for a baptism? It was all part of the divine plan.

We drove through the night so Charles would sleep, it was pretty uneventful, but we did stop at every rest area we saw towards the end of the trip. When we got to Rhode Island, Grandpa and Grandma took Charles to go play with his cousins Dominick and Tony. The picture below is the only one I could get with all of them in it. They played together really well, they just refused to sit together to get their picture taken.


Nathan and I rested for a bit and then joined everyone for lunch and then watched the kids play at Jason and Gina's house. At one point my whole family was zonked out on Jason and Gina's couch.

The baptism was Sunday and it was beautiful, oh and I am baby Tony's Godmother. Ok, officially I am his Christian Witness because I am not Catholic, but I prefer the sound of Godmother. That is where the Divine Intervention came into play. Gina's sister Linda was originally scheduled to be little Tony's Godmother, but God thought that was a terrible idea and caused the volcano to erupt so she wouldn't be able to fly into town, therefore I would be the Godmother. God works in mysterious ways. Some might call me the substitute Godmother, but I prefer New Godmother or the Godmother of Destiny.

The picture below is of me and my new Godson. I had to have Nathan take a picture of just the two of us during the baptism party because he left me out of all of the official baptism pictures he took.


See, here is a lovely picture of the actual Baptism. You can see the Deacon, the mother, baby Tony, the father, the Godfather, but where is the Godmother? Maybe her husband cut her out of the picture.


Luckily Charles was very well behaved during the actual baptism. He was intrigued by a pigeon that was trapped in the church. He was not a good boy during the actual Mass before hand. We were sitting in the front of the church and he kept trying to make a break for the alter. I know Jesus said to let the children come to him, but I am not sure the priest would have enjoyed holding Charles while he spoke.

While we were in Rhode Island we had a wonderful time playing with Charles's cousins. Dominick loves playing the guitar and singing. He is going to be quite the rock star because he loves to perform. He also loves to get his picture taken.


Little Tony and Nathan also became quite close.


We did have a wonderful time for the short two days we were there. We drove back Sunday night. All weekend Charles cried when he had to get into our car because his Grandpa's car has a TV in it. We had a surprise of our own. We brought a little DVD player with us and we let him watch movies on the way home. He was in all his glory because it was close enough to him that he could manage all of the controls. I repeated the movie several times, but also skipped through the parts he didn't like.

We got home early this morning and had to drive through the Detroit rush hour. Nathan was amazing. I was in and out of consciousness for the last 3 hours, but he was a trooper and managed to get us home safely. I was so happy to have the day off today. Even with the day off, I took Charles to daycare. He didn't seem to understand why Mommy wanted to sleep instead of play.

Overall, the trip was a success. Also, "In your face Andrew, you are not the only person who can have two Godchildren!"

No comments:

Post a Comment