Friday, January 13, 2012

Turkey, Turkey, Turkey

Lately I have been reading a few mommy blogs. I don't really know what defines a mommy blog, but I know one when I see one. I don't think this is one. Maybe I just can't see it on my own blog.


Anyway, these mom's give hints and tips for things you can do with your kids, things you can do with your house, and things you can make for dinner. I would not be any good at this because We always do the same things, eat the same things, and our house is a disaster. Obviously I am not the type of mommy or wife that anyone should model their behavior after. However, every now and then I really kick butt for a short time in a certain department. If I did have a mommy blog, this would be one of the postings. Another posting would be where I recommend that moms of young children always have leftover pizza in the fridge.


This week I kicked butt at Turkey.
no mommy blog would be complete without full recipes, I will include them at the end.


We recently discovered that you can buy little boneless skinless turnkey breasts. They are much smaller than the turkeys you have at thanksgiving, but they aren't teeny tiny. They are about the size of a small chicken. We love them. They come frozen and we can cook it in the crock pot all day and then have a wonderful dinner. I do love the crock pot, but all the things I cook in there have to be things that can cook for 11 hours or longer. I need to be able to plug it in when I leave for work and we are not going to eat it until after I pick up the kids, get them home, and make mashed potatoes (chazzy chazz loves mashed potatoes). Usually, we would buy a little turkey, they cost $8-$12, we would eat it for dinner and we would put away the leftovers believing that we would eat them in sandwhiches. A week or more later I would find the turkey and throw it in the trash. Not this time. This time I cut up the turkey into teeny tiny pieces and put it into two containers and stuck them in the fridge. The next day we had turkey quesadillas. Surprisingly, I think I like them better than chicken quesadillas. It is very similar, but there is just a little extra flavor. Even Chazzy Chazz liked them better. He ate a whole one all by himself. I used the second container to make "Eggs Catherine". These eggs are a lot like scrambled eggs, but so much better. I made six servings so I split them into smaller glass bowls I got at the dollar store, put them into baggies, and then put them into the freezer so I can take one out at a time to take to work for breakfast. Today I brought the first one from this batch. Delicious and I was not starving by lunch time. I rarely am this organized. In fact, this might be the only time I ever used the whole turkey. I feel so unwasteful. Does anyone else have any good recipes for leftover turkey? I am not going to try impossibly easy turkey quesadilla pie. That didn't go well for the chicken.

Recipes:

Turkey in the Crock pot:



  1. Open the frozen skinless boneless turkey breast and run under water just long enough to get the gravy pack to come off.

  2. Throw away gravy pack. (unless you like turkey gravy)

  3. Put the turkey in the crock pot.

  4. Pour 1/3 cup of water over the turkey.

  5. Pour 1/3 cupe of apple juice over the turkey.

  6. Turn the crock pot onto medium and cook for 6-12 hours.



Turkey Quesadillas:



  1. Put about a cup of chopped up cooked turkey in a sauce pan.

  2. Add 1 Tbs of butter.

  3. Add 1/3 cup water.

  4. Add a healthy shake of taco seasoning. We use the taco seasoning from gordons. It comes in a huge container that may last you years.

  5. Heat at medium heat and mix until most of the water is gone.

  6. Put the chicken in a bowl.

  7. Decide how many quesadillas you want to make and butter one side of twice as many tortillas. Both flour and corn tortillas work. flour tortillas taste better in leftovers.

  8. Put shredded mozerella cheese in one bowl and shredded cheddar in another bowl.

  9. Assemble/cook each quesadilla in a frying pan on medium heat in this order: Tortilla, butter side down - Mozerella cheese - turkey - cheddar cheese - tortilla butter side up.

  10. Flip it after one side is brown.



Eggs Catherine



  1. Mix eggs and milk in a bowl like you would for scrambled eggs.

  2. Add a LOT of cheddar cheese.

  3. Add about a cup of chopped up turkey (deli ham and deli turkey work also. I think hotdogs would also work.).

  4. Add some salt.

  5. Pour into a hot frying pan on medium heat.

  6. Stir it around like you would scrambled eggs until nothing is liquidy anymore.

  7. Put in little containers and freeze.

  8. Cook in the microwave for 1 minute when you take them out.


If you ever spend the night at my house, ask me to make these for you. They are SO good.

No comments:

Post a Comment