Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dear Hipster, be my friend

Hipster to me: "Ooh, I like your shoes. Saddle shoes are so hard to find."

Me to hipster: "Thank you."



This conversation took place while I was waiting to go up the elevator a few days after I started my new job. I will never be able to make new friends with a lame-o response like "Thank you." However, I didn't know what else to say. Everything else I could think of sounded lame.





  • "Thank you, I got them at JCPenney. You can get them there too," Would have been a nice response, but JCPenney is such a middle aged mom store (appropriate for me). It is totally not a hipster store. My cousin Jeff told me that I should have told her that I got them at a resale shop or in an alley. He says hipsters love that stuff. Of course, the perfect response is ready when it is already too late.

  • "Thank you, I like your lightly punked out school girl outfit," might have sounded sarcastic, even though I did like her outfit.

  • "Thank you, wanna be friends and do lunch?" would have sounded needy and a little too kindergarten.

The other day I saw her on the elevator. She works on the floor below mine. She was wearing green tights. I wanted to compliment her on her green tights, but with an elevator full of women my age, I was afraid it would come off as sarcastic. But I did come up with an idea. I think I need to tape a sign on the door for her floor. This is what it will say:


"Dear hipster with the green tights,


I love your tights and your cool hair. We should be friends and do lunch. Let me know if you are interested.


Sincerely yours,


Middle aged woman with the saddle shoes"


Then I would have to wear the saddle shoes until the next time I see her.


Any other thoughts? Recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment