Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stopping my butt from getting bigger

This is not a New Years Resolution or a diet. It just seems that maybe my butt (and the rest of me) got a little bigger over the holidays. I blame the bucket of cookies on the kitchen table, the FABULOUS fondue we made for New Years and all the wonderful food that was prepared for us as we went to visit people.

The fact that there is more of me to love is especially obvious to me because my new pants are a little tight and my new shirt is a little tight, and I think that they are trying to stay far away from eachother either because they hate eachother, or they think it is hilarious for my muffin top to show at work.

Here are my attempts from today to make my butt stop growing:



  • Stairs - At my old job, I would walk with my walking group every day at 10am and 2pm. This was wonderful for so many reasons. It got me away from my desk. I got to chat with my friends. It helped my butt to not get bigger. We worked in a pretty wide building, so a full lap of the building was about half a mile. That distance was not going to turn me into a super model, but at least it kept my butt from being 3 feet wide. At my new job, the building is not wide at all. I don't have walking buddies. There is a fabulous river walk right outside, but it is so COLD in the D this time of year. So, I have decided to try the steps. I am not crazy. I can't take the steps instead of the elevator. I work on the 32nd floor and I don't know how to get into the stairwell from the bottom floor. However, I think if I am free at 10 and 2 I will think of my friends as I climb a few flights. So far, I have done 5 flights at 10 and 5 flights at 2. I can feel the burn, but my shirt still isn't good friends with my pants.

  • McDonalds - There is a McDonalds in my building. I love McDonalds. Today I succeeded in not getting it for lunch. I am not saying I can do this every day. But maybe I can manage to order a small fry when I do get it. We will see.

  • Tacos - Instead of McDonalds for lunch, I went to Salsaritas and only got ONE taco and nachos on the side. This is a big deal for me. I didn't even eat all the chips.

  • Cherry Coke - I don't drink a lot of pop, but when I do, I want it to be cherry and I want to drink it when I eat Mexican food. I got a pop with lunch today, but, I put in a ton of ice.

Sure, these are several tiny steps but maybe they will lead to bigger steps and a smaller butt. What was your favorite thing to eat over the holidays?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Catherine!

    Your posts are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    When the weather gets better, the Riverwalk is awesome and I highly recommend it. When Mark and I are in the D during the good weather seasons, we always walk it up and down.

    I know what you mean. Do you remember how I used to go for long walks around the other business area where we were before they moved us to Dearborn? I used to call those my "Cecilia Walks" before Cecilia L. got me into going for walks. I decided to start going for those walks again. It makes me feel closer to her, especially now that she's gone. Granted, this building is not as attractive for walks as the Allen Park business area and after going back and forth a few times, it gets boring (not counting the people that try to stop you to ask you some SharePoint question or who knows what). But at least it's something.

    Those small changes you are talking about sound great. Just make other changes, as well; like switching to the diet or fat-free version of the same things you are eating and it will help. That's what I did before I tried Weight Watchers back in 2007.

    I was talking to a friend of mine this morning and at 46 she looks great! All the workout she does is 1 hour walk every morning on the treadmill at a fast pace. I couldn't believe it when she told me that! Well, she also "runs" after her 8 children, ha-ha! Beat that workout.

    If I'm ever in Detroit during a weekday for whatever reason I'll make sure to give you a ring so we can go for a walk together.

    Hugs!

    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "because" Cecilia got me into going for walks" and not "before." Sorry...

    ReplyDelete