Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Sweet love burning on a Saturday Night...

I have been to two BEAUTIFUL weddings this month.  Whenever I attend a wedding, I come away with ideas I didn't have before.  I like to say to my husband, "next time we get married we should..."
  • Use gladiolas as our flowers.
  • Incorporate more purple.
  • Not make the bridesmaids all wear the same dresses.
  • Have me dressed in a color other than white
  • etc.
One of the weddings we attended included the bride and groom singing a duet.  I added this to the list of things I want to do next time we get married. I didn't recognize the song they sang, so I have been kicking around some alternatives that we could use next time we get married.

  • "Whenever I call you friend" by Stevie Nicks and Kenny Loggins.  Con - The song starts out really cheesy and lame.  Pro - Very appropriate theme for a wedding.  Also, at the end it turns very disco.  Imagine our wedding duet turning into a fabulous choreographed disco.  I think we could get our guests to join in as well.
  • "Don't go braking my heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee.  Con - Nathan pointed out that this is really more famously done by Elton John and Miss Piggy.  Would I want people to think I looked like Miss Piggy in my second wedding dress?  Also, the song is a little lame.  Pro - Also good for the crowd breaking into a disco.
  • "I would do anything for love...but I won't do that." by Meatloaf and some mystery woman.  Con - Most of the song is sung by Meatloaf.  The mystery woman only has a few lines in the "Would you hose me down with holy water, If I get too hot?" section.  This would be a very one sided duet unless we traded off on the rest of the verses.  Pro - This song rocks and I am already really good at singing it and really putting on a show thanks to karaoke.
  • "Total Eclipse of the heart" by Bonnie Tyler and some unknown male singer.  Con - this one has the opposite problem of the previous song.  Most of the good parts of the song are sung by the woman.  I guess we would have to trade off on this one as well.  Also, this song doesn't really have a good theme for a wedding ceremony.  Pro - This is another one I am good at in karaoke.
  • "I got you babe" by Sonny and Cher.  Con - This song is lame and Nathan claims he doesn't know it.  Pro - The only plus is that the song is pretty even between guy and girl parts.
Thinking of singing these songs in front of a church full of my friends and family got me thinking of one of my other favorite situations that will never happen.  Which of the following songs would you prefer to perform as a solo at church?
  • "What if God was one of us" - Joan Osbourne
  • "Personal Jesus" - Depeche Mode
  • "Like a Prayer" - Madonna
 Can you think of others that would be fun to pass as appropriate, but probably aren't?  One time I was at the store in the music department and an elderly couple came up to me and asked if I could help them find the song that was the theme song of Joan of Arcadia.  The song was, "What if God was one of us."  It just so happens that I really like the song so I sent them in the right direction.  But I wonder what they thought if they purchased the whole album and then realized that it isn't really Christian music.

What would be your favorite song to sing at an inappropriate time and place?

1 comment:

  1. Nathan has a solid point about Miss Piggy. Maybe you could combine Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler and do a mash-up; they are very in these days! Might change the tone of both songs a little....

    I think Like a Prayer would take the cake for inappropriate church song. But I would still pay good money to see someone do it. :)

    ReplyDelete