Thursday, March 1, 2012

Adventures in Crochet

Well, I have learned to crochet, but so far the one thing I have not mastered is a hat. I have a lot of hat books with fabulous hat creatures and creations, but they are all sized for little kids. I try to alter the pattern so they will fit me, but so far, no good.

To torture me further, THE gift this Christmas was the creature hat. I so wanted to make these myself.

Here is the hat I tried to crochet.

You are thinking, my goodness, What a great orange Hershey's kiss hat you have crocheted. Why thank you, except it is supposed to be ERNIE. So I ripped this one out and tried another approach. I confess that I knitted the hat part and crocheted the rest. I barely know how to knit and I cannot pearl. Everything I know about knitting is what my hands remember from when I was 6 years old and my Great Grandma taught me how to knit. However, as luck would have it, I own one of those hat knitting looms they make for children. It is amazing. It allows me to make a hat. They all turn out the same size, the perfect size for my family of big heads. Once I knitted the hat, I crocheted Ernie's ears and the ear flaps. I found some big chunky black yarn and it became the magic hair. Originally I bought black fur, that was a big mistake. when you buy fur, it gets everywhere.

Anyway, here is the finished product. I was going to make the rest of the face, but I decided I like it better as a high concept Ernie. It would be condescending to the public to put a face on Ernie, assuming they couldn't figure out that it is Ernie as it is.


Maybe I will finish the Bert hat for Nathan by next winter.

Feel free to pin this.

No comments:

Post a Comment