Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Slurpee fiasco

I am from Grand Blanc.  In Grand Blanc, everyone lives within walking distance of a 7-11.  During the peak years, we lived within walking distance of two.  This was an important factor in buying my own home as an adult.  Luckily, we found a home close to a 7-11.  However, we did not consider that the road that leads to the 7-11 is Michigan Ave.  This stretch of Michigan Ave has no sidewalks, so we had to drive to 7-11 like suckers.

Then came the new subdivision.  With the new subdivision came a new road that cut through to the next main road.  The new subdivision had sidewalks and so does the other main road.  This was wonderful.  When the new subdivision went in, my sister came over, we put baby Charles in the bike trailer and we headed to the 7-11.  The new route was great as far as sidewalks go, but it was definitely the long way to get there.  I swear it was up hill both ways.  We rode our bikes to the 7-11 once and then realized that there were alternatives.  The new route to 7-11 led us paste a movie theater and a Meijer gas station.  Both have frozen cokes.
I would like to be a snob, but the truth is, I can't tell the difference between a frozen coke and a slurpee.  Our remaining bike rides have gone past the movie theater (no one wants to pay 4 bucks for a frozen coke), and onward to the Meijer gas station. 

Odessa is still a little young for the bike trailer.  Today I thought it would be a good idea to walk with a 4 year old and a baby in a stroller to the Meijer gas station.  I am stupid.  In Grand Blanc this would have been easy.  It was not easy from our house.  It turns out it is way farther than I imagined.  Half way to the gas station I had to send Nathan back to get the car.  I figured we might be able to make it there, but no way were we making it back.  That left me alone to cross the major roads with the children.  We did pretty well, but I almost considered stopping to get the 4 dollar frozen coke at the movie theater.  Amazingly, Nathan saved the day and pulled into the movie theater to pick us up.  He took us right to the Meijer gas station.

To top off the fiasco, I didn't even get a frozen coke.  I am trying to give up pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment