Friday, July 26, 2013

Home Safety Town-ing

So, Chazzy Chazzerton will be starting kindergarten in the fall.  I don't know if they do the same thing everywhere, or just here, but the big thing to do the summer before you start kindergarten is to attend a week of Safety Town.  Safety Town is a day camp type thing where they teach your kid about safety.

When I was a kid I did not attend Safety Town.  I am not sure if they didn't have it or if I just didn't attend.  I do not know how I have survived this long without it.  However I managed to survive, Chazzy Chazzerton better figure out the same strategy because I am not sending him to Safety town.  Why?  Here are the reasons:
  • I am lazy.  Sending the boy to Safety Town would take some planning.  We would need to figure out who would drop him off and who would pick him up and blah blah blah.
  • I am cheap.  It costs some amount of money to attend Safety Town and there is an additional cost for the after Safety Town care and I already pay for him to go to daycare.
  • I am dumb.  I just don't get it.  What could they possibly teach that would take a whole week?
To make myself feel better for the shortcomings listed above, I have decided to home safety-town Chazzy Chazzerton.  Here is what I came up with that he needs to learn:
  • Stranger Danger.
  • Look both ways before you cross the street.
  • Don't climb up the slide.
Then I talked to some friends that are not lazy, cheap, or dumb, so they did send their children to Safety Town.  Here are some additional things they learned:
  • Fire Safety (Actually, I don't mind that he missed this.  I remember learning fire safety and I was in a panic for months about burning up in a fire)
  • Police are Friendly
  • Severe Weather safety
  • Don't climb on furniture and fall down
  • How to put on a fabulous safety based performance
It looks like I am going to have to step up my home Safety-Town curriculum.  Any other thoughts of what I should add?

On a side note, one of the dads of a kid that went to Safety Town accidentally called it Crazy Town.  Now, if that was the name, you could teach the kids to sing "Come my lady, come come my lady, You're my butterfly, sugar baby" in the final performance.  I think I will add that to the home Safety-Town curriculum.  I will also add the theme song to Reading Rainbow (Butterfly in the sky, I can fly twice as high...) and it will be a butterfly themed safety performance. OH, and I will teach some sort of choreography that goes along with "The Safety Dance".

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA! He will be fine and he didn't miss a thing. Oh, and I totally want to come to your Home-Safety-Town closing performance just for the choreography that would be present. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are just trying to justify how to make more money. Many kids come out traumatized from those things. I grew up in Latin America and we never got those courses. And we all survived. It's just common sense. Keep teaching him not to talk to strangers or accept candy or gifts from people they don't know at all or little. To scream and kick like crazy if someone tries to grab him. And what to do if he hears a tornado siren. I'm sure there are a couple more things, but you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete