Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Karate Kid, then and now

Recently, my son fell in love with the new karate kid movie.  No, not Karate Kid 2, 3, or the one with Hilary Swank, he likes the one with Will Smith's son in it. 





At first I encouraged this love of the Karate Kid.  I loved The Karate Kid and all the sequels.  For some reason, I don't like this new one.  It is not Jackie Chan's fault or Will Smith's son's fault.  Both of them do a fine job.  I surprisingly enjoy how similar, almost word for word at points, the plot is to the original.  I am even willing to overlook how a young kid from Detroit can beat a ton of kids in China at kung fu.

My problem with the movie is one part perspective, and one part the age of the karate kid.  I think the character is only 3 or 4 years younger than the Ralf Machio's character, but those years make a big difference.  Seeing a kid that young get beat up so badly really bothers me.  I guess the change in perspective is because I am a parent now.  The possibility that my child could get beaten so badly and try to hide it from me REALLY bothers me.  Now that I am a responsible adult, I notice that when Jackie Chan steps in to protect the karate kid, he does not hit the kids at all.  He just uses the force from the boys against themselves.  I can't tell you if that is the same when Pat Morita stepped in to save Danielson, because I didn't care if an adult beat those teens up.  They deserved it.  When watching the original Karate Kid movies, I never thought Danielson should run to his mommy to take care of his bullies.  Now, I can't understand why the kid refuses to tell his mom he got beaten to a pulp.  I guess this is just another sign that I am getting old.

Which Karate Kid Movie is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment