Monday, July 15, 2013

slivers and splinters...my worst fear.

I have a fear of splinters or slivers or whatever you want to call them.  This is a HUGE fear.  When I was a kid, my mom always went in after the splinters with a needle and it seemed to be the most painful thing in the world.  As an adult, I go to great lengths to avoid getting slivers.

Over the 4th of July weekend I was reminded why I fear them so.  We had some people over for the 4th, and the kids were running on the deck with no shoes on.  There is NO way I am going on the deck with no shoes on, but I figured I shouldn't let my fears run over onto my kids, so I let them.  Dessy Dess got 3 slivers in the heal of her foot.  I didn't notice.  No one noticed until we were camping with my family over the weekend.  Dessy Dess was limping and my aunt nurses noticed.  Armed with tweezers, needles, and disinfectant, they removed the slivers.  Poor Dessy Dess.  Aunt Amy was holding her for part of the time and I had her for the other part.  She was crying in a way that only a tortured two year old can cry.  It broke my heart.  After the removal, the foot was medicated and Dessy Dess spent the rest of the weekend in uncle Jim's extra long grey sock.  She just kept saying, "boo boo, me".  I don't think she will forgive my aunts for a while, but I am super thankful that they took care of it.  They said it looked infected.  Had I discovered the problem myself, the poor little thing would have gone to the doctor, because I don't think I could dig it out.

This tragedy reminded me of the reasons for my fears much more vividly.  I think I could pick a live spider up in my hands before I could run my hand across splintered wood.  I use the daintiest touch when picking up any type of wood.  EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

So, how do you handle a sliver/splinter in your own body?  In someone else's body?  I hear it is easier to get it out of your own body, because you can control the pain and such, but I don't know about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment